Wellness Advocate Program
Volunteer With Us!
The Counseling and Wellness Center's Wellness Advocate Program is a unique volunteer opportunity for passionate Western students who are committed to enhancing their own health and the health of Western's community. This program gives students opportunities to make meaningful connections with peers and professional mentors and build a strong skill set in leadership and education that supports their academic learning and career plans.
Wellness Advocates come from various academic majors and backgrounds, and we continually seek to expand the diversity of this team to increase the unique skill sets and valuable perspectives that the Wellness Advocates contribute to this important work.
Program Information and Application Process
We are currently accepting applications for the 2022-2023 cohort of Wellness Advocates! Apply today! See below for more details.
The Wellness Advocates Program accepts applications throughout the year. Applicants are required to attend an interview and orientation during spring quarter. Within two weeks of your interview, you will be notified whether or not you were selected. All Wellness Advocates will complete training during the week before Fall quarter classes start. Once fully trained, Wellness Advocates will volunteer 3-5 hours per week beginning in Fall quarter.
Western Faculty and Staff Members: Nominate a Student to Apply!
Do you know an exceptional student who would be a fit for the Wellness Advocates program? Please nominate them by completing our brief nomination form by April 13.
NOTE: In order to access the form, you must log in to Google using your Western email account.
Once you submit your form, we will reach out to the student to invite them to apply!
What You Need to Know
The Application Process
- Submit a completed Wellness Advocate Application by Sunday, April 24, 2022.
- Participate in a mandatory meeting on Tuesday, May 3, 5:30-7 PM (details to be provided).
Program Requirements for Accepted Applicants:
- Attend a full week of Wellness Advocates training during the week before Fall Quarter classes begin (Sept 12-16).
What We Do
Wellness Advocates receive training that prepares them to be involved in a variety of health promotion activities that includes:
- Planning and implementing health promotion events, workshops & campaigns
- Creating & sharing health promotion content for social media
- Acting as a knowledgeable and supportive resource for friends and peers
- Advocating for policies, practices and resources that support the well-being of our campus community
Our Topic Groups
Wellness Advocates participate in one of four topic groups which focus on:
- Substance harm reduction
- Mental health promotion
- Sexual health advocacy
- Consent and relationships
Many of our students tell us their experience with the Wellness Advocates program was a highlight of their college career. Students who participate in this program receive:
- Increased knowledge & skills to enhance personal and professional growth
- Expanded network of friends
- Ongoing support and mentoring from staff
- Campus leadership opportunities
What Students Say
“The other people in the program are incredible and you get to be part of a really great community.”
“You get to contribute to the health and wellness of Western which is very rewarding.”
“The training you receive will stay with you your whole life, even if you don't work with that subject matter again. The fact that you know about resources, how to seek them out, how to utilize them, and how to refer others so they can receive the help they need is something that will be valuable in whatever you do with your life.”
“The core staff members are a group of amazing people and the nature of the program allows you to develop meaningful relationships with them and they can serve as excellent references for you.”
“Looks great on your resume!”