Eligibility for Services

Therapy Services Eligibility 

The services of the Counseling and Wellness Center are provided at no additional cost beyond the Health Services Fee.

Students are eligible for ongoing individual or group therapy through Western's Counseling and Wellness Center during the main academic year if they meet ALL of the following criteria:  

  • Enrolled in 6 or more credits for the current quarter  
  • Paid the Health Services Fee for the current quarter  
  • Located in WA state

If not taking classes over the summer, students may access summer services if they meet ALL of the following criteria: 

  • Enrolled at Western for the previous spring quarter 
  • Enrolled for the upcoming fall quarter 
  • Paid the Health Services Fee for the summer quarter 
  • Located in WA state

Please note that general eligibility for therapy services does not guarantee that a student will receive a specific requested therapy service, as clinical recommendations are made with the clinician’s professional judgment. 

First-year or Transfer Student?

If you are a new Western student, please note that your eligibility for ongoing services begins on the first day of the first quarter for which you are registered.

Survivor Advocacy Services Eligibility 

Students are eligible for ongoing survivor advocacy services if they are an enrolled Western student. They do not need to pay the Health Services Fee to access advocacy services. 

Health Services Fee 

The Health Services fee provides eligibility for services at the Counseling and Wellness Center and the Student Health Center, provided they are located in WA state. Students enrolled in 6 or more credits are automatically billed the Health Services fee.  

Over the summer, students who are not enrolled in summer classes but who were enrolled in spring quarter AND who are enrolled for the following fall quarter may request to opt-in to the Health Services fee. 

Manually Paying the Health Services Fee 

To pay the Health Services Fee manually, call the Student Health Center at 360-650-3400 and ask to have the Authorization to Manually Bill the Health Services Fee Form sent to you through the MyWesternHealth patient portal.   

Please note that it may take up to two weeks to process the form.   

If you are unable to pay the Health Services fee due to a financial hardship, you may request a waiver. Email your request to student.health@wwu.edu  AND cwc@wwu.edu.