Mental Health First Aid Training
Free Training for WWU Faculty and Staff
Western is partnering with Highline College to bring Mental Health First Aid Training to our campus. These trainings are free for all WWU faculty, staff, and student employees, with in-person and virtual training dates.
Mental Health First Aid gives participants skills and strategies to better assist someone experiencing a mental health or substance use-related crisis. In the Mental Health First Aid course, you will learn risk factors and warning signs for mental health and addiction concerns, strategies for how to help someone in both crisis and non-crisis situations, and where to turn for help.
Mental Health First Aid Participants:
- Increase their knowledge of signs, symptoms, and risk factors of mental health and substance use challenges.
- Are able to identify multiple types of professional and self-help resources for individuals with a mental health or substance use challenge.
- Show reduced stigma and increased empathy toward individuals with mental health challenges.
- Increase their confidence and likelihood to help an individual in distress.
- Benefit personally from the skills and information they learn to manage their own mental well-being.
Register for a Training
Workshops will be held on Oct. 26, Nov. 3, Nov. 30, Jan. 11, Jan. 19, and Feb. 9.
Classes are limited to 30 attendees per class and are available first-come, first-served basis.
All trainings run 9 AM to 4 PM. In-person trainings will include a boxed lunch and light refreshments. Online trainings will be held over Zoom.
Please note: Trainings will involve pre-work before class, which will be emailed to participants in advance by Highline College.
All in-person trainings are now full. Thank you for your interest. Please consider registering for the Feb. 9 virtual training.
You may also submit a request to be added to our workshop waitlist.
Virtual Training on Zoom:
There are still spots available in the Feb. 9 virtual training. All other workshop dates are full. If you are interested in being added to the workshops waitlist, please submit the form below.