Scope of Clinical Services

Students whose needs fall outside the scope of services or scheduling availability of the Counseling Center are referred to community resources.  The Counseling Center provides referral services after the initial session or as these factors become more apparent during the course of services.

You also can look at our online community provider referral database to search for a therapist who meets your needs. Also, you can look at our Guide to Off-Campus Mental Health Support brochure that provides information about finding a therapist in the community. 

Some of the issues that are commonly addressed through referral to services outside of the Counseling Center for longer-term or more intensive counseling include:

  • Request for formal psychological evaluation for the purpose of employment clearance, determining eligibility for vocational rehabilitation or disability benefits, or documentation for emotional support or service animals.
  • Learning disability, neuropsychological, or ADHD assessment.
  • Student concerns that require regular weekly appointments throughout the quarter.
  • Student concerns that required open-ended, ongoing psychotherapy before coming to Western Washington University.
  • A history of multiple hospitalizations, chronic suicidality and/or self-injury behaviors; history of repeated suicide attempts.
  • Evidence or risk of progressive deterioration in mental or emotional functioning, requiring intensive intervention.
  • Presence of impairing drug and/or alcohol problems.
  • Presence of impairing eating disorder.
  • Court-mandated assessment or treatment requirements

Please note the nature and complexity of presenting concerns are considered in making the appropriate treatment recommendation(s). Cases are evaluated individually and the professional judgment of the mental health provider(s) will determine the treatment decision in a particular situation.